Lately, there has been a buzz for e-cigarettes so that many brands have cropped up and a lot of young people have taken to it. E-cigarettes are also known as e-cigs, vaporizer cigarettes, or vape pens. It is a battery-operated handheld device that can help in emitting vaporized nicotine or even, non-nicotine solutions. It provides a similar feeling to that of conventional tobacco cigarette albeit without the smoke and many harmful chemicals that are usually associated with tobacco smoke.
Usage of e-cigarettes is also called ‘vaping,’ and it is consistently increasing in the US. Mostly teenagers are getting attracted to the concept, and between 2011 and 2015, its prevalence grew by more than 900 percent in the country. In the following sections, we take a look at the different aspects of e-cigarettes that is gaining much popularity throughout the world.
- Some useful facts on e-cigarettes – Some e-cigarette manufacturers market the product as a perfect remedy for quitting tobacco smoke. However, the fact remains that fully using e-cigarettes instead of tobacco cigarette can be helpful for quitting. Anyway, many people do continue to use both of them, and that may not help to quit. Health authorities are now trying to discourage youngsters who like to vape by making stronger regulations. It is because e-cigarettes resemble conventional cigarettes and may have health implications through continued usage.
- What actually is an e-cigarette?
An e-cigarette may look like a long tube and can be quite similar to a cigarette, pipe, pen or a cigar. Most of them are reusable and comes with a refillable and replaceable cartridge. However, some of them are also of disposable types so that one can use and throw the pen after an operation. As of date, there are more than 450 brands available in the market.
- How Do They Work?
When a user inhales using the mouthpiece, the heating element vaporizes the e-liquid Australia solution in the cartridge and the aerosol converts into a vapor that is exhaled for satisfaction. The nicotine content in an e-cigarette can vary from nil to “extra high.” The ‘extra high” strength refers from 24 to 36 mg per mL. Almost all types of e-cigarettes consist of the following four components – a cartridge, a rechargeable battery, a heating element, and electronic circuitry. The individual components are described here for complete understanding.
- The cartridge – A cartridge is a fixed piece in a tube’s end. In the cartridge, there is an absorbent material soaked in liquid solution within a small plastic cup. A cartridge can also come as a refillable option or can be replaced fully after use.
- Rechargeable battery – The heating element is powered through a Li-ion battery which is rechargeable. It is the component that keeps the device going at all times and place.
- Heating element – The heating element is also known as the atomizer and it helps in heating the e-liquid so that vapor can be produced from it.
- Electronic circuits – The electronic circuit consists of the sensor that helps in triggering the heater on sucking from the cartridge.
In addition to all the above components, there is an e-liquid that helps in the vapor formation. It is usually a nicotine extract mixed with a base and flavoring. The base of an e-liquid can be Propylene Glycol (PG) or Vegetable Glycerin (VG). PG is the same base that is also used in asthma inhalers.